Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Birthday Fun & Back To The Grind

Yesterday we celebrated Funny Girl's birthday. It is actually today (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!) but since yesterday was a holiday we decided to have a cookout and game night.
Rico and Donnie have settled in to the house and so we cooked like fiends to get things ready.

On the menu were BBQ ribs, fried chicken, burgers, hot dogs, collard greens, home made macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs, grape salad, green salad, pasta salad and for dessert was cake and ice cream.

Rico made the ribs, chicken, mac n' cheese and greens. The pasta salad, grape salad and assorted beverages were brought. I made the green salad, deviled eggs and baked the cake and cupcakes. My friend Anne grilled the burgers and hot dogs.

We had about 15 people there and I think that about 1/3 of the food was eaten which means that I have a CRAPLOAD of ribs, burgers, hot dogs etc,etc left over. Most of the food is NOT point friendly so I will be staying away from it (although I did a decent job yesterday and ate all of my points for the day at the bbq without going over). I suggested to Rico that he take some of it to work with him. If not, I might bring it in to the vultures that I work with.

I surprised Funny Girl by inviting her parents to the party. They live about 2 hours away and had already presented her with her gift. The look on her face when she saw them at the door was priceless. What was even funnier was that she won't drink in front of her folks (a respect thing) so her full glass of wine was discreetly placed in the fridge until they left.

We played Cranium and Mau until about 10 PM and then all but Funny Girl and Rico's best friend Cain left. We hung out until about 11:30 and then Funny Girl and Cain left and Rico finished up the last few dishes while I got Devon's lunch, clothes and backpack ready for school today and I headed to bed.

Today is my first day back at work since being out on FMLA for Devon's surgery. It is nice to be back so that things are getting into a more normal rhythm. It is much easier to stay on program (WW) while at work because I have to pre-plan everything.

So far I am down 23.3 pounds. I have just over 5 pounds to go to reach my first 10% goal. I am not sure what I am going to do to celebrate. It just has to be non-food related. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Tara said...

Got any spas nearby? You could treat yourself to a day spa with massage and everything!

That cookout you had sounded like so much fun. Plus, that's great that you were able to surprise Funny Girl with her parents!

Happy Birthday, Funny Girl!

David in DC said...

Holey Moley, that's a helluvan accomplishment.

Hoorah!

Non-food-type-celebration ideas:

A ride in a hot air balloon.

A splurge day at Barnes and Noble, Borders, or better yet, a used book store.

A splurge day at a clothing store to buy something you wouldn't have bought 10% ago.

Tara's massage idea is a darn good one too. In fact, I've got no special reason to celebrate and I'd like one myself. Last time I got a professional massage was on a Disney Cruise. Who would have guessed that Goofy had such talented paws?

Sizzle said...

yeah spa- all the way. congrats!

Freckle Face Girl said...

Sounds like you have been enjoying life. Congrats on your first goal. That is wonderful!

Indiana said...

Sex.

Pure and simple.

It's the best motivator and the best reward.

Lydia said...

I really can't top the spa idea. That'd be my choice. And I am so impressed with your weight loss so far, Rachel.

Good that you felt ok about getting back to work again.

Churlita said...

Spa and/or cute new clothes. You totally deserve both.