Friday, July 14, 2006

Spa-tacular?

The company that I work for had a fundraiser last night. It was for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) which is a wonderful organization.
The concept was that we donate $50 to JDRF and get to go to a spa and receive a 15 minute massage, a micro-derm abrasion, a mini-pedicure, mini-manicure and a haircut. For another $25 we could bring a friend for the same pampering. They also had a jazz band and "hearty hor'devours".
The idea was great, but the execution left a bit to be desired. The event lasted from 6:00 to 8:30. The spa services were to start at 7:00 so that we had time to mingle and stuff our faces first. What they didn't tell us is that we should get there around 5:45.
I work until 5:45 and I had to pick up D and meet up with a friend who was going to watch him while I was there (D's dad flaked out again as usual). I got to the spa center around 6:30 thinking that I would have time to sign up for some services. Ummm...not so much.
It was a madhouse. I walked in and there were women everywhere and the music was so loud that it was hard to talk. They had me sign in and sign up for a door prize. They then told me to walk around and sign up for the services that I wanted.
My friend Funny Girl was meeting me there, but didn't get off work until 7:00 so I had her list of things that she wanted so that I could sign her up as well.
Off I go to find the services that I want to sign up. I get to the first room which was for micro-derm abrasion. Now this was the second thing on my list so I thought, cool, I will put my name down. First room list was full. I go to the second micro-derm room. That list was full. I start walking around. All the massage room lists - full. Pedicure list - full; Hair list - full. The only list that still had room on it was for the mini-manicure which basically consisted of a 1 minute hand massage and a paraffin wax dip. I sign my name on there and I put Funny Girls name on there too.
I was NOT very happy. I thought, people paid good money for these services and very few people are getting them. Some lists only had room for 3 or 4 people. There were 50-60 people there. I went through and started looking at the lists again. It became very apparent that the first people that were there signed up for all of the services without thinking that maybe there might not be enough for everyone.
At this point it pretty much turned into a joke. I would walk all over hoping that people were ahead of schedule (which shock of all shocks, they were). I would stand by the door and once someone was finished, I would find out what time they were scheduled for. If it was 15 minutes before the next appointment, I would ask if they could fit me in.
Although things didn't go exactly as planned, the spa employees were fabulous. VERY accomodating and willing to do more than they had been originally asked to do. And everything that they were doing was for no pay. They were volunteering their services for JDRF just like we paid for the services.
I was able to slip in and get a micro-derm abrasion which felt like a very rough cat tounge licking my face. The funny thing was that the technician used to work at a day spa that I go to and she gave me a facial about 4 years ago.
I talked to the people doing hair and the lead hair stylist said that she would get me in even if it meant staying until 10pm. I thought...now THAT is a cool chick.
I still wander around and someone comes up to me and says, "I can't use my massage time, do you want it?" We go and cross out her name and write down Funny Girl's name. Massage was #1 on her list.
I meet Funny Girl at the door. I tell her that her massage is scheduled for 7:30. Unfortunately because they are moving so fast, there are about 30 minutes ahead of schedule and she misses her time slot. We talk to the masseuse and he fits her in. She gets her massage while I go and get a manicure. She meets me out there and then she gets her manicure.
We then go back to the massage area and talk to Justin (her masseuse) and he says that he will fit me in after his next appointment. At this point I am thinking..... OK, so they are doing their best to accomodate everyone. It definitely isn't their fault, it was probably more of a miscommunication between the spa and the event planners.
In the end, I was only signed up for 1 service but because of the absolutely awesome spa employees I was able to get 4 services. Microderm, massage, manicure and a haircut.
Even though the event ended at 8:30, I walked out the door at 10:15 with a fabulous haircut and I even won a door prize of a large, beautiful urn style pot with potpourri which I gave to Dolly (the babysitter) as a thank you since she wouldn't take any money. I ususally go to a different spa for hair and pampering, but I was so impressed with the people and the ambience of Vasaio (which I found out means pottery in Italian), that I think I have found my new haven.
Oh, and I have gotten TONS of compliments on the new "do".

2 comments:

minijonb said...

A mini-pedicure and a mini-manicure??? That sounds mini-rific! =;-)

Glad you had a great time. And, yes, you did get a cool new "do"

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That massage was SO nice...and since Justin is a male....I suppose I could say I've been man-handled.