Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Meh!

Well, I had my date last night. We met at a small bar for a drink and sat and chatted for about an hour.

Me, smarty pants that I am, had a self imposed time limit on the date. I promised my babysitter that I would be home by 8:00 which forced me to leave an hour after I arrived. I think that it was a good thing.

My date, we'll call him Martin, looked a bit older than his 32 years. He grew up in California and has a passion for fishing and so this could account for the lines around his eyes and mouth. What it didn't explain is why he talked like a fifty year old man.

I am not sure how to explain this. He talked like a 50 year old life long smoker. The way his mouth moved. It was very strange. I knew that he was only 32 but he looked 15 years older.

I was fine with him looking older, heck, it makes me look younger still. But, I doubt that I will see him again.

Almost the entire time we were talking, he was bad mouthing his ex-wife and her family. It was obvious that there are a lot of issues that he has yet to work through in regards to the dissolution of that relationship while still having to be in contact with her because of their child.

I totally understand. I was there myself for a few years. It can be so frustrating that it can nearly consume you. But I have moved past that and don't want to really deal with the baggage that comes along with emotions being so close to the surface.

On a brighter note, I have been asked out on a date by Aaron, a very sweet guy that I met Saturday night. Not sure if he is my type either, but I have no problem going on a date with him to get to know him better.

This is not the guy that called me when I was at work. His name is John and we chatted for a few minutes while I was headed to meet Martin last night. Hopefully he will call me again. He is the closest to what I would consider my type of all of the men that I have met recently.

I should have decided that I didn't want to date a long time ago. I would probably be married by now... LOL

5 comments:

Churlita said...

ha ha. That's great. I'm so happy you're going out there and meeting guys. I'm back on the "not dating" kick, but with me, I'm really not dating. Damn, it sucks to live in a college town.

dmarks said...

Happy for you. Sounds like you are having fun. Yes, it sets of an alarm for me that Martin would waste the time of the date badmouthing any stranger. Not anyone's idea of a pleasant date!

Anonymous said...

Baby steps! You've finally broken the dating slump (more like a dating recession, actually!). Now that you've got the first one out of the way, the flood is a-coming!

-Jaybird

Tara said...

One of the commandments of dating, I've heard, is to not trash past relationships. Kind of like going for a job interview and ruining it by trashing past employers because the employer you're interviewing for will assume you'll trash them too.

Good luck with the next date with Aaron!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

At least you are getting back out there and having the choices that you do.. You can take your pick of any guy...